The university of linking

Posted on July 21st, 2010 by Paul Stainthorp

Today’s Talis Linked Data and Libraries open day has motivated me to make a list of some of the external data tools, web services and APIs that could well end up being sucked into Jerome’s vortex of general awesomeness.

I was inspired (possibly through drinking too much SPARQL-themed coffee) by the thought that 2010 is effectively ‘year 1′ for library-themed Linked Data. (But I promise I’ll try and keep the ‘Lincoln’/’linking’ puns to a minimum after this post…)

Library linked data cloud

“With the emergence of large, centralized sources entry to the Linked Data cloud might be easier than you think” (Ross Singer, The Linked Library Data Cloud: Stop talking and start doing, Code4Lib 2010)

So, which of these will make their way into the Jerome toolkit? (I’ll say now, before I get in trouble, that they’re not all purely Linked Data!) …compiled in part from these other lists, and by discussions/examples at the Talis event:

What have I missed? Which of these are not worth bothering with; which should we get stuck into without delay? You know where the comment form is…

Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “The university of linking”

1. Profile photo of Nick Jackson Nick Jackson says:

A quick thought on this from the database side. Our choice of a non-relational database has made cross-service integration much easier than before. There’s already provision to store (and deliver) masses of data associated with items even if it’s not been tailored to Jerome.

One of our longer term aims is auto-completing records to the extent that an academic could feed a title and author into a reading list one evening, and by his 9am lecture the next day it’s been populated with ISBN number, publisher, cover image, citations of the text and links to buy a copy.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Paul Stainthorp, Paul Stainthorp. Paul Stainthorp said: #ldal blog post in the service of our #jerome un-project http://lncn.eu/dgr [...]